Sunday 24 June 2012

Painting with light

While looking on you tube for information on circular polarising filters for my Nikon D90 I stumbled across a subject entitled Painting with light.

Some of the effects are truly amazing, it would be worth looking up.

Inspired I have decided to give it a go. Although as with most things it can look simple but is a lot harder to do.

So here we go, camera set to manual, ISO at lowest setting 200, Aperture set at 5.6 and shutter speed 10 seconds. Camera mounted on a tripod in a naturally dark room, what to paint with light.

First attempt was a metal sheep on the dining table


Feeling pleased and amazed with the simplicity, further images were taken but spoilt with light entering into the frame, so with my new found skills I wondered what else could be done.

Lighting up a bottle looked good on you tube, so with a towel for background and a Bacardi bottle, half full on this occasion, though sometimes in my life it would have been called half empty, all the same settings on the camera as previously, hey presto


 
The second image I delayed switching on the torch and switched it off before the camera closed.

Now we were cooking with gas, time to sign my name, keep it simple, Rod


Oh well Rome wasn't built in a day.

As with anything in life you should always try to finish on a positive, there were a few failed attempts to write my wife's name, Sue, that was harder than I thought. Several failed attempts later I wrote her name on a pad backwards, set the camera as before, but this time with the shutter speed at 15 seconds, really pleased with the result.

 

I hope this inspires others as it has me, for some truly stunning images, including light spheres etc search You Tube under "Painting with light"

One final comment, no alteration of images post photography took place, there is software out there that will alter and enhance your images to make stunning pictures, but where is the fun in that, unless you are seeking to sell them on or use them for publicity.




No comments: